Data Privacy Day – January 28 is an international effort to:
- Raise awareness and educate consumers to better understand how their personal information may be collected and the benefits and risks of sharing personal data
- Empower consumers to express their expectations for the use, protection and management of their personal data
- Inspire consumers through concrete, simple and actionable tips to more actively manage their online lives
- Encourage and motivate consumers to consider the privacy implications of their online actions for themselves and others
- Encourage businesses to be data stewards by being open and honest about how they collect, use and share personal information and clearly communicating any available privacy and security controls
Data Privacy Day began in the United States and Canada in January 2008 as an extension of the Data Protection Day celebration in Europe. Data Protection Day commemorates the January 28, 1981, signing of Convention 108, the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection. Data Privacy Day is now a celebration for everyone, observed annually on Jan. 28.
– See more at: https://staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/